Rose Reisman shares how to cook harvest vegetables– she makes them healthy and delicious.
Duh-licious is excited that Rose Reisman stopped by to share her culinary expertise with our readers. Rose Reisman is best-selling author, restaurateur, health and wellness author and was awarded as one of Canada’s Most Powerful Women. Here is her recipe for baked root veggies:
Baked root vegetables are a real comfort side dish during the colder months. Use other varieties of your favorite vegetables such as turnips or rutabagas. You may need to add a little more maple syrup since these vegetables tend to be less sweet.
Baked Root Vegetables with Maple Syrup and Cinnamon
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, unpeeled and cut into wedges
– 1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled and cut into wedges
– 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
– 1 large sweet yellow onion, cut into 8 wedges
– 2 large peeled parsnips, cut into 2-inch pieces
– 2 peeled beets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
– 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
– 2 Tbsp maple syrup
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 cup chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray
2. Arrange the sweet potatoes, potatoes, squash, onion, parsnips and beets in a single layer on the lined baking sheets. Lightly coat lightly with cooking spray. Bake in the center of the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, turning after 20 minutes or just until browned and tender. If the trays are on separate racks, switch their positions halfway through the cooking time. Bake the beets an extra 10 minutes, or until fork tender. Place the vegetables on a large serving platter.
3. To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the roasted vegetables. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Calories 260 • Protein 5 g • Carbohydrates 56 g • Fiber 7.9 g • Total fat 3 g • Saturated fat 0.4 g • Cholesterol 0 mg • Sodium 36 mg
• prep time 20 minutes
• bake time 35 minutes