These pizza diploma rolls are easy-peasy. They are perfect for a graduation party, or just ‘cause.
The best part about these pizza rolls is that you can prep them well in advance and bake them when you are ready.
Easy-cheesy Pizza Rolls
(Makes 2 dozen)
– 24 slices white bread, large (like Wonder Bread)
– 8 pc cheese string, preferably mozzarella
– ~ 100 g pepperoni slices, 3 slices per roll
– 1 ½ cup pizza sauce
– ¼ cup butter, melted
– 24 chive pieces (~ 8” long) , optional + 1 cup boiling water
Using a rolling-pin, roll-out each bread slice until it is 1/8” thick. This is about ¼ of the original height of the bread. Be careful not to tear the bread. Trim off crusts.
Slice each cheese string into thirds. Spread 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce on each slice—leave 1.5 cm of ‘empty space’ around the edges.
Place three pepperonis on each slice of bread, and one third of the cheese string. It’s best to stack the ingredients closest to one edge of the bread, as per picture below.
Tightly roll the pizza wraps.
Place finished pizza rolls into a freezer-safe container, and freeze for a minimum of 30 minutes. You can make the rolls up to 2 weeks ahead of time, and freeze them until you are ready to bake.
Preheat oven to 375’F. Line a cookie sheet with foil.
Brush each roll with the melted butter, and space out evenly on the cookie sheet. Bake from frozen for 8-12 minutes until golden brown.
For the scroll ribbons:
Place chive pieces in boiling water, and let sit for 1 minute. Remove from water and drain. Place in ice-cold water to set. This helps them become pliable, and extend their freshness.
Gently tie around the pizza rolls to complete the ‘diploma’ look.
– Cheese will melt, but because we only used 1/3 of a cheese string slice, it won’t ooze out (in a batch of 48, we only had a handful of cheesy run-aways).
– Freezing the rolls helps to keep them from unwrapping during baking.
– You can personalize plates to the occasion using inexpensive stickers. Make sure they are low-tack glue decals so they don’t ruin your plates.