Loaded with pecans, this southern classic will make you beg for seconds. Happy Thanksgiving
(makes 1 x 9″ pie)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup golden syrup (corn syrup)
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
– 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 1/2 – 2 cups pecans, chopped
+ single pie dough (thawed from frozen, or home made)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350’F . Line a pie tray with frozen pie dough; or thaw store-baught dough.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the brown sugar, golden syrup, butter and corn starch until boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla just until it has frothed. When the boiled syrup has slightly cooled cooled, beat in the eggs, salt, and cream. Stir in pecans and mix until evenly distributed.
3. Pour the filling into pie shell. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is just set (a toothpick inserted into the center of the pie will come out clean.
(If you find the edges of the pie crust are over browning during baking, cover with foil.) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Serve with vanilla ice cream, or whip cream.